Color is a strong influencer! It can set an atmosphere, change an environment and affect the thoughts and feelings of users in the space. Color effects everyone in different ways, and by understanding color theory in interior design, the right mood can be created. You can make color selections that suit any interior. Colors on the color wheel are grouped with warm colors on one side and cool colors on the opposite side. Cooler hues like green, blue, and violet are associated with calmness and harmony, while the warmer hues like red, orange, and yellow feel more passionate and zestful. let's dive into some tips and tricks to achieve certain looks with BOLD colors.
· Bold Paint Colors - Walls in a space is one of the largest surface areas. Using a bold paint color on the walls can bring life to your space. It’s a great opportunity to create a statement, while keeping the rest of the design neutral in tone. Bold wall colors with muted or neutral tones tend to feel more visually soothing and gives it a nice contrast. Try using black, grey, or white neutrals to give a visual break from the saturated color. Keeping this balance makes the color additions to the space more impactful.
· Bold Fabric Colors - If you’re not comfortable with going with a statement wall color, going bold with your fabrics can help support your neutral wall and décor. You can bring in bright rugs, pillows, and window treatments and balance it out with neutral furniture and wall color to focus the energy on your bright fabrics. You can also go for a warm or cool analogous color scheme, which means colors next to each other on the color wheel work together in a space. You do not have to commit to just one color, but can mix cool colors or mix warm colors. You can add more contrast by going with a complimentary color scheme. This means selecting accent colors opposite each other on the color wheel.
· Bold Art Colors - Art is personal and meaningful. Bold and colorful wall art is another option to bring about a little color into your space without the major commitment of bold color in your furniture and furnishings. Select art that compliments other elements in the space and look for common hues in your other furniture and décor to help you pick the right art pieces. You can even have a completely neutral look and bring out your color in the art itself. Think art gallery!
· Bold Furniture Colors - Bold colored pieces of furniture can make a huge difference in an alternately neutral space. Be bold, but don’t go overboard. You can achieve this by having one or two statement pieces that bring out the color, which will serve as the focal point of the room.
· Bold Accessory Colors- Putting bold accessories in the spotlight offers the opportunity to slowly enter into the world of color. The colorful accessories will ad vibrancy to a typically neutral interior. Mix the bold color in your accessories with varying texture. This adds visual interest and contrast, and can be altered to fit any mood, style or season.
This month we are going to explore how to use color in a BOLD way! Check out our IG LIVE videos every Wednesday at 6PM EST for practical tips for the week. We will also be showing some design tips we discussed above on Instagram and Facebook.